Visa&License in Japan

Applying for long-term Residen visa or Permanent Resident when s/he divorced/lost Japanese spouse

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
S/he may be able to apply for Long-term Resident Visa when s/he divorced a Japanese national. 
It is a visa granted to those who are authorized to reside in Japan with a designation of period of stay by the Ministry of Justice in consideration of special circumstances.
Although the divorce itself shall not immediately cancel the status of residence of the foreign national in Japan, s/he is requested to return to her/his home country when the visa expires. 
Depending on the circumstances, a foreign national divorced or lost his/her Japanese spouse may qualify for Long-term Resident Visa. 
For example, if you have a child and have responsibility to raise the child, you may qualify for visa eligibility. 
Even where you do not have a child, it is still possible to apply for Long-term Resident visa. 
However, in such case, the immigration bureau will assess if you have sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living. 

Period of Stay 

⇒ 1 to 3 years